Database Developer / Database Administrator – TimePlay
TimePlay Inc. is the premier innovator of entertainment products for fans, media and marketers. A privately held corporation, TimePlay promotes an entrepreneurial culture, which values innovation, creativity, and fun!
About the Position
Do you love data? Have you played games and ever considered all the various data collected behind the scenes? If this is you then you might just be the right person for the job!
We’re looking for a Database Developer / DBA who loves data, technology, and analysis and has a proven track record architecting, developing, and deploying enterprise class entertainment applications. The person is well-versed in modern trends in data development and comfortable with leading edge open source technologies. The TimePlay team is always looking for novel solutions to improve scalability, efficiency and maintainability. Enthusiasm for solving interesting and complex problems is a MUST.
As our DBA, you’ll initially work developing and maintaining our customer-facing, highly available, data systems. Moreover, you will need to collaborate with our software engineers on SQL optimization, code review, defining best practices for database design, programming, tuning and determining customer, business and partner’s data needs.
The ideal candidate has a “get it done” professional attitude, and is ready to roll-up his/her sleeves to tackle difficult problems. This position requires a detail-driven person with proven experience in managing and maintaining large consumer databases. This position requires someone with an acute attention to detail, an analytical mind, and a passion for technology and games.
This position will be 80 percent database development and 20 percent database performance tuning and optimization. You will work primarily with databases, back-end servers, dashboard technologies, and ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) tools. In addition, you will get to explore the data to try and find outliers, trends, and interesting data points to share with the rest of the company and our partner’s
Here are the top ten reasons to work at TimePlay as a DBA:
- Results matter!
- We work in a fast-paced client-oriented development; our clients are the movie studios, sports leagues, teams, arenas and theatres, and other large corporations
- You can go to a movie or a game and see your results of what you do on the Big Screen
- Did we mention that your results are available for viewing by millions of people?!
- Engineers are encouraged to choose the right tool for the right job
- You work in a small team with other really smart, humbly-confident people
- This is not your average desk job, you have an opportunity to regularly go out to solve real-time problems
- Ongoing focus on professional development, continuous improvement, and keeping pace with emerging developments
- Our company operates at a unique intersection of science, math, software technologies, sensors, and entertainment
- We talk about tech, sports, music and entertainment frequently (if you’re in to that!)
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a company in the hottest industry that offers an exciting, challenging and dynamic work environment with tremendous career growth potential. We focus on innovation, creativity, and cutting edge technology.
- Collaborate with technology teams to conceptualize, design, develop, and maintain Data warehouses for production, operations, diagnostics, dashboards and reports
- Recommend and implement solutions for database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back up, and recovery specifications.
- Maintain high quality service by assessing, developing, debugging, maintaining and enforcing organization standards.
- Write clean, readable, well documented code.
- Ensure adequate testing to deliver quality products, including writing and maintaining unit tests
- Maintain database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters; implementing new releases; completing maintenance requirements; evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Work with production, customer service, and marketing to analyze player behaviour to increase retention and revenue.
- Create tools to make internal teams more efficient and able to make well-informed business decisions.
- Provide data validating and ad-hoc reporting to stakeholders and executives.
- Develop and maintain, views, functions, and other scripts in support of product development, customer reporting, and database administration requirements.
- 3-5+ years of experience in Database Administration (experience as lead preferred).
- Strong applied knowledge and implementation experience with SQL (MySQL or SQL Server dialects are preferred)
- Firm understanding, including writing efficient stored procedures.
- Experience with large scale database design and optimization with a thorough understanding of indexing, normalization, partitioning etc. with an eye towards scalability and maintainability.
- Experience with Linux with hands-on experience administrating open source database like MongoDB, or MySql.
- Experience with distributed data storage solutions, clustering, mirroring, log shipping and replication.
- Highly motivated, proactive, efficient, organized, and detail oriented self-starter.
- Strong ability to scope and define project requirements.
- Ability to maintain a flexible working approach while achieving deadlines.
- Passion for technology and isn’t afraid to “do the hard stuff”
- Proven experience in agile development environment (Scrum certification preferred)
- 3+ years of experience with at least one of the following: PHP, Python
- Experience with OLTP – Online Transactional Processes
- Experience in the field of Business Intelligence a plus.
- 1-2 years of game industry experience a plus.
- NoSQL implementations – MongoDB, Cassandra or similar.
- Experience with Amazon Elastic Cloud (EC2), and Relational Database Services (RDS)
- Experience with Google Analytics
- Hands-on experience with Graphical User Interface Design and Implementation
- Knowledge or passion for entertainment, a plus!
The ideal candidate must:
- Have strong communication skills to collaborate with internal teams to identify, produce, and deliver tasks on time
- Be able to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals and technical procedures
- Be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers and engineering personnel
The ideal candidate must:
- Be able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Be able to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
TimePlay is a privately held company that offers competitive compensation and full benefits including medical, dental, vision, and grant units.